In candle magic, certain colors are traditionally associated with specific aims. Using correspondences is just another way to attune to the vibration of the energy you are looking to work.
If you are familiar with Chakra colors or traditional Tarot color associations, you will note many similarities (and can certainly use those correspondences as well). Otherwise, here’s a quick cheat sheet for you!
- White – Purity, Truth, Realization & Enlightenment
- Red – Passionate Love, Vigor, Health, Blood, Sex, Fire Element
- Pink – Compassionate Love, Success, Attraction, Friendship
- Blue – Peace, Soothing, Understanding, Healing, Water Element
- Green – Money, Growth, Heart Energy, Earth Element
- Gold – Attraction, Persuasion, Charm, Money, Winning
- Brown – Grounding, Assertiveness, Court, Work, Animals, Earth Element
- Black – Banishing, Death, Reversals, Negative Works
- Silver – Moon Energy, Psychic Abilities
- Orange – Pleasure, Encouragement, Courage, Road Opening, Prophetic Dreams
- Purple – Power, Ambition, Spirit, Command, Amplification
- Yellow – Intellect, Happiness, Detachment, Reason, Air Element
White candles can also be used to “stand in” for any other color, making them all-purpose! For magic work, I usually prefer unscented candles as I dress them with oils, but if you use scented candles, that doesn’t have to be problem. You may want to check on correspondences to see if the scent is also consistent with your intention. A rose-scented red candle, for example, would certainly not detract from a love spell! But you wouldn’t want to use a sweet scent for banishing.
Many aromatherapy candles may be already scented with essential oils consistent with your goals.
Do you make candle magic? What color associations do you use?